07 December 2013

Apple Walnut Breakfast Pie

This recipe and I have had a very interesting past. The recipe "Apple Raisin Pancake" is in my gluten free bible cookbook and the picture they have next to it. . it will make your mouth water. So while we were living in Maryland I decided to follow it one morning and it was terrible. I forgot to add the flour to the first one I put in the oven which I only realized when an odd apple scrambled egg smell was coming out of my kitchen. Then Nic decided to run to the store for another apple to so I could try again, well, I followed the directions to the t and it was still disgusting. Once we moved out here I decided I would try yet again, but only loosely using their recipe as a template.

I did something right. This is my breakfast of choice (besides Nic's french toast) and it's really easy to make. It's even in the running for our Christmas morning breakfast.


1 apple, I've been loving Pink Lady apples lately but any would work
1 egg
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups Pancake mix
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Core and peel the apple. Then cut into medium/thin slices. Mix these with the brown sugar and cinnamon and place to the side.

Mix the pancake mix and milk until creamy. Add in half of the quarter cup of walnuts and 1 tsp of cinnamon, mix.

Pour the brown sugar apples into the bottom of a pie pan making sure to cover entirely. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts on top of the apples. Pour the pancake mix over these and make sure to smooth to cover the entire pan. Sprinkle cinnamon (I sprinkled cinnamon KIND granola on top last time and it was delightful).

Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 15 minutes. Also, please remember that my oven is weird, so do check on it!

Happy baking! 

No comments :

Post a Comment