10 October 2012

Grandma's Pumpkin Squares & Cream Cheese Frosting

The leaves are starting to change, the air's getting crisp, and pumpkin's on my brain. Everywhere I turn there are either pumpkins or pumpkin flavored things. Not to mention mums!! I've never seen mums before, or maybe I have and I just never noticed them, but they're so fall. I love them!

The fact that I'm experiencing fall for the first time is fabulous except my cake/cupcake/doughnut cravings have escalated to unbearable levels. Being gluten free isn't terrible but I am having a hard time dealing with the fact that I can't order a pumpkin loaf with my pumpkin spice latte while going through the Starbucks drive-thru. Combine that with thinking about my grandmother's pumpkin squares and I'm going insane. To try and save some sanity I decided to try the pumpkin squares with a gluten free twist. I mentioned the plan to Nic and he was just as excited as I was so I figured we'd do it.

Pumpkin Squares:
- 1 (16oz) can of Libby's Pumpkin Puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of oil
Stir together 
- 2 cups of flour (I use Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free flour mix)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
Mix the wet mixture into the flour mixture until smooth 

Pour into a baking dish (what you would use for brownies) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes

Cream-cheese Icing
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar to taste (it's a lot)
Beat together until smooth 

Once the pumpkin squares have cooled spread the cream-cheese icing over them. Enjoy!

 

Enjoy with coffee brewed at home with Bailey's Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer (it's actually really delicious) and I promise you'll be in a pumpkin heaven.

Happy baking! And happy fall!

Ciao! xox

No comments :

Post a Comment