15 January 2012

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few weeks ago, right before Thanksgiving to be precise, I discovered I cannot consume gluten without getting sick. We've discovered it isn't Celiac disease (which is a severe gluten allergy where even if your food touches some amount of gluten you're getting sick) but rather a gluten intolerance caused by __________ (to be entered when we figure out what is wrong with me) where I am still unable to consume gluten but I'm okay using the same silverware as my family who does.

Before this happened I found much joy in baking. Whenever I would get stressed I would bake chocolate chip cookies, eat most of the dough, and go for a long run. Perfect routine. Since wheat is a main ingredient in any cookie I have now been forced to only eat overpriced gluten free cookies from Publix or Whole Foods. I have found three kinds that I like but none of them compare to homemade chocolate chip cookies. After a long day yesterday I decided I wanted to try and make some gf chocolate chip cookies. Well every recipe I found called for at least four kinds of flour (tapioca, brown rice, a bunch of names that I cannot pronounce nor remember) which are each sold separately and way too expensive but then I fell upon this fabulous flour free recipe. I was in heaven. I changed some of the ingredients because. . . . well because I can so here's my adaptation of the recipe:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups of peanut butter (I use Jiff)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking soda
2 eggs
A ton of chocolate chips (honestly, you can never tell anyone how many are "correct", it's like wine, eat and drink the whole bag)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients minus the eggs together, add the eggs and stir until nicely mixed.  Grease the cookie sheets (I use butter) and put cookies on the sheet. I sprinkled with sugar on top. Bake for 12-14.

It should make about 24 cookies and according to my brother in law and grandfather who ate 3/4 of a tray on their own, they taste damn good.


Happy baking! Ciao! xoxoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment