08 February 2012

Gluten Free Applie Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Icing

If you know me at all you will know that I am not your typical 21st century "equality for women" kind of gal. I'm weird I suppose. More than anything I wish I lived in the fifties where I can be married, raise my kids and meet my husband at the door with drink and a peck on the cheek. But alas, I live in the time where females are running for President and we're equal with men. So terrible. ;)

I've been so stressed out lately with school, work, relationships and just being sick that I really needed something to do. And the truth is you can't really realize you're in pain when you're laughing and baking with your grandparents. Since my appetite has all but disappeared I have only had two cravings: all sorts of cupcakes and the gluten free lobster pasta that I got at Maggiano's. I'm too lazy to drive all the way to Maggiano's so cupcakes won and I found a handy recipe online. Here's my adaptation of it!

Applie Spice Cupcake and Maple Cream Cheese Icing


The Cupcakes:
  • Hodgson Mill Yellow Cake Mix (it's gluten free!) 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 peeled apple, chopped up to small little pieces (they're baked into the cupcake!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Add in water, eggs, vanilla, and eggs. Beat on low until mixed together.
- Mix in apples pieces
- Put into the cupcake holders and plop them into the over for 19 minutes (or under the toothpick comes out clean).


They taste good without the frosting but about one hundred times better with it. They almost have a "muffin-esque" texture.

The Frosting: 
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 6 oz cream cheese, softened 
  • 4 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix butter, cream cheese and maple syrup together on low until fluffy
- Gradually add in powdered sugar while on low
- Eat a ton and refrigerate


Quantity: About 14 cupcakes and an excess of delicious frosting for snacking.


As grandpa say it's a "jolly recipe". It's the best thing I have ever made and I am probably too proud of myself. I promise you'll like them though. And they're gluten free which therefore makes them healthy they were also made full of love.


Happy baking!!

Ciao. xoxo.

No comments :

Post a Comment