17 November 2011

Veteran's Day Weekend

Three day weekends are something I've loved as long as I can remember. They've always meant an extra day to study for an exam or a nice long weekend at the beach. The point is they're fabulous. Now that Nic's a second class at the Academy he gets to leave on Friday nights and on a three day weekend he gets to stay out that extra night. . which means three whole nights of cuddling. Hallelujah!

Eevah's first plane ride
Since last weekend was Veteran's Day weekend -- aka a three day weekend -- I decided to go up and visit, Eevah in tow. She has frequented the airport in her little pink and green purse since she came into our family as she always comes with me to pick Nicy up but she's never actually been on an airplane before. The last few times she has been extremely scared to the point of shaking (if you know her you know this is weird, she's the friendliest dog once she decides she likes you) which had me really worried. Contrary to my anticipations Eevah was absolutely perfect. I got her a new little crate and she just stuck her head out of the top and looked around while snuggled by wherever my legs were. It was really nice having her along, especially for the good-byes because instead of having to wait until I got home to hug her and feel closer to Nicy I got to hold her right when I went through security. A small, but nice and needed comfort.


Nicy dressing Eevah
The visit itself was quite fun. Nic has always sworn up and down that Eevah will not be allowed to wear any type of clothing. This rule gets thrown out when it's cold though because he thinks she needs a coat; he actually went online to try and find a Patagonia or Northface jacket for her but didn't prevail. . . and she was shivering something terrible when we were outside -- especially Friday when the high was maybe in the upper 50s so we went to Paws and spent about an hour trying on cute jackets and sweaters for her. We settled on a crocheted sweater with an anchor on it. And I must admit she really did love it and looked adorable. We also discovered Quiet Rivers (or Waters, I don't even remember) park where we had a little picnic. I love love love picnics and fall foliage and Nic and Eevah so I have to say I was in heaven. It was perfect.


Since this is the first time in four years that we won't be spending Thanksgiving dinner together we decided to do our own Thanksgiving Friday night. We assumed the Navy Lodge had ovens and planned out an entire feast, invited his friends, and I packed the spices in my suitcase. Once we got into the room we made a terrible discovery. There was a stove-top, but no stove!! You would have thought someone died from our reactions, it was quite devastating. . Nonetheless we survived and just went out to dinner. It wasn't the wine filled day of cooking and cuddling I was looking forward too, but it was nice.  And Nic cooked a fabulous breakfast Saturday morning complete with heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes (my favorite) and bacon that was burnt to a crisp and set off the smoke detector. It was the funniest, and funnest, morning we've had in a long time. Few things can make you laugh more than watching your love stand on a bed fanning a smoke detector with a pillow. 
The amazing breakfast, and burnt bacon.
Somewhere along the lines I had assumed the good-byes were going to get easier. I'm not sure if I missed the curve in the road that I was supposed to take for that to happen or what but they aren't getting any easier. It was hard leaving and knowing that I should be seeing him in less than two weeks but instead it isn't for another month. As excited as I am to spend Thanksgiving with my family and be able to eat the lovely food that I've longed for the last three years it is going to be weird not seeing him. .
 
But I don't wanna go!
 Ciao! xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment