19 January 2017

Koko Crater

We did the stairs last year while Nic's parents were here and decide that we should give them another try. I've started a new plan where Saturdays are "my session" days and we wanted to do a hike.  The plan originally was to do Mt. Ka'ala but the weather had been weird and it wasn't worth trying it if we were going to get socked in views at the top.  So we lounged around all morning and decided to head there in the afternoon.

Of course once we got to Hawaii Kai it was nice and sunny for our entire trek up.  We lathered on the sunscreen and started.  My legs were already sore from my work out the day before so my calves were killing me from the get go.  But it was a blast.  I don't think I would have been able to do it as well as we did, especially in the middle of the day in the hot sun if I hadn't been working so hard lately.

Naturally,  I have a few qualms. First, if you feel the need to listen to music wear some ear buds. Honestly, I like music. I love it when I run but it's ridiculous and rude to think I want to listen to any of your stuff while I'm hiking. I'm out here to get in tune with nature and get a killer work out at the same time.  Second, stopping is totally ok. We stopped a few times! But when you and your friends sit on an entire step and I have to walk around you, and almost fall,  WHY?!

We packed a little lunch and had a nice picnic break once we reached the top.  It's a great workout! I had wanted to run up it before we left island, but after this time I realized it just wasn't going to be in the cards.  That's a lot of steps to run up!



No comments :

Post a Comment